The Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MOFA), in its capacity as Lead Programme Agency, has the oversight responsibility for the implementation of GASIP. It will also ensure linkages to other projects and related Ministries, Departments and Agencies (MDAs).
The Programme Coordination Unit (PCU), based in Accra will ensure the overall coordination of the programme. At the decentralized level, three Zonal Programme Offices (ZPOs) will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of activities.
The Central ZPO Central, in Kumasi will cover Central Ghana (Ashanti Region, Brong Ahafo Region, Central Region and Western Region). The Southern ZPO in Dodowa will cover Southern Ghana (Greater Accra, Volta Region and Eastern Region). The Northern ZPO in Tamale will cover Northern Ghana (Northern, Upper East and Upper West Regions). In order to be effective and efficient, each ZPO will receive a high degree of operational responsibility.
Value Chain Facilitators (VCFs) will work in close collaboration with the District Departments of Agriculture that will be supported to provide extension services to the Farmer Based Organizations (FBOs). The Department of Co-operatives (DOC) and the Business Advisory Centres (BACs) will provide guidance to FBOs, ensure audits and register FBOs that meet the criteria for registration as legal entities. GASIP may sign MoUs with the selected DOC at the regional level and the District Department of agriculture that stipulate key responsibilities and deliverables by all parties in the district.
- Hodzo Cassava Cluster
- Asutuare Rice Cluster
- Worawora Rice Cluster
- Amanten Cassava Cluster
- Tamale Rice Cluster
- Ashanti Mampong Cassava Cluster
- Abura Dunkwa Cassava Cluater
- Bawdwiase Cassava Cluster
- Dawa Rice Cluster
- Golokuati Cassava Cluster
- Provide funding and logistics to the relevant departments to implement their core mandate as far as Value Chain Committees (VCC) strengthening and agribusiness development are concerned, including support through the District Department of Agriculture (DDA), the Department of Co-operatives (DOC) and the BACs.
- Support the establishment and operation of VCCs, give access to their facilities for VCC meetings, and facilitate their registration to give them legal authority and mandate for their operations in the District.
- Provide incentives and enabling measures for agribusinesses in their Districts.
For water management schemes, mobilize the community and organize the selection process of intervention sites, undertake reconnaissance studies and all procedures to acquire the land area via Lease, sign agreements with WUA to define mutual responsibilities.
For commercial infrastructure and facilities, they will provide the land and contribute to investments, organize procurement and implementation.
- Contribute through MOFA to the implementation of the Environmental and Social Management Plans (ESMPs); and
- Contribute to monitoring of outputs.